Robert Verrijt + Shefali BalwaniSize -
700 sq.m.Program -
Family Home ; Adaptive reuse and renovation of Colonial British Manor, 1922Client -
The land was held by Pathuriaghata of the Tagore family. Lastly among them it was owned by Prodyot Coomar Tagore Maharaja Bahadur (September 17, 1873 - August 28, 1942). The Maharaja was active in public life. He was a Commissioner of the Corporation of Calcutta, a Governor of the Mayo Hospital, and a member of the Bengal Legislative Council from 1899-1911.
He was the founder and first President of the "Academy of Fine Arts, Calcutta", a trustee and Chairman of the "Indian Museum" and a fellow of the "Royal Asiatic Society". The Tagore family had transferred the property in 1905 to the family of Rai Badridas Bahadoor Mookim. They were the Court Jewelers to H.E. The Viceroy and Governor General of British India, who built the Calcutta Jain Temple in 1867. He was the founder President of Bengal National Chamber of Commerce, the first ever National Chamber of Commerce in India. His family built the colonial heritage manor some time in 1922. This was acquired in the 1950's by Tarachand Ghanshyam Das, a unit of the Neotia business family and sold to Bhagwati Khaitan, proprietor of the eminent law firm Khaitan & Co. Since the last few years it is held by the Wellside Group. The heritage manor was dilapidated, defaced and infested with termites and damp, without any upkeep for over a few decades. The manor has a sturdy, robust and classical character: down to earth yet rich with history, a rich soberness. In tune with the proposed use as both a family home and a representative property, this character will be enhanced.